Police Officer Recruit
Location: Manassas, VA
City of Manassas Police Department
Open until filled.
Job Description / Responsibilities
Applications are being accepted to establish an eligibility list for Police Officer positions at the Manassas City Police Department. After a comprehensive hiring process, applicants selected for hire must satisfactorily complete a 20-week course at the Northern Virginia Criminal Justice Academy. NOTE: Applicants currently certified by the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services (D.C.J.S.) are not required to attend the Police Academy.
The purpose of this position is to protect life and property; respond to the needs of the general public; deter criminal activity within the community; enforce all state and local ordinances and laws; and protect the constitutional rights of all citizens by performing investigations, special details, and specific assignments.
- Enforces all applicable city, state and federal laws.
- Conducts criminal investigations, patrols assigned area and assists in emergency situations.
- Reviews all documents, papers and notes related to an investigation to allow for knowledgeable courtroom testimony.
- Speaks with, and interacts with citizens to establish rapport and trust.
- Establishes probable cause, issues summons, completes criminal complaints, and testifies to Magistrate during probable cause hearings for adult custodial arrests.
- Demonstrates proficiency in the use of issued or assigned equipment to include: issued firearm, ASP, Taser, OC, PBT, camera, patrol rifle, mobile date terminal, less-than-lethal munitions, and patrol shield.
High School diploma or GED and Vocational/Technical training in law enforcement required; supplemented by one year of law enforcement experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job. Must successfully complete required law enforcement training. Must possess and maintain a valid Virginia driver's license.
How to Apply
If you are interested in becoming a member of the Manassas City Police Department, please complete an online application by visiting: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/manassas/jobs/1601810/police-recruit?page=2&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
The eight step hiring process includes:
- Complete Online Application
- Supplemental Questionnaire
- Physical Agility Exam
- Personal History Statement
- Background Interview
- Polygraph Exam
- Psychological Exam
- Final Interview
This position is open until filled and the vacancy may close without notice.
Equal Opportunity Employer: The City of Manassas prohibits discrimination against any person in any practice or procedure relating to hiring, promotion, discharge, pay, training, fringe benefits, and other aspects of employment on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, marital status, age, religion, political affiliation, disability which is unrelated to a person’s occupational qualifications, or any other non-merit factor which is not a bona fide occupational qualification. Reasonable accommodations which do not impose an undue hardship are available to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities, as defined in the Americans with Disabilities Act, during the recruitment process and during employment.
For more information about Manassas City Police Department, go to: Manassas City Police Department