Public Safety Officer (Airport)
Location: Roanoke, VA
Roanoke Regional Airport Commission
March 10, 2017 by 5:00 pm
Job Description / Responsibilities
Public Safety Officer Job Posting #16-010 (Full-Time/Regular)
Performs duties related to Airport Law Enforcement and Security, Aircraft Rescue Fire Fighting (ARFF), and Emergency Medical Responder/First Responder (EMR/FR) services at the Roanoke- Blacksburg Regional Airport and real property owned by the Roanoke Regional Airport Commission (“Commission”). Duties include, but are not limited to: (i) the delivery or facilitation of law enforcement and security services as appropriate or required by federal, state and local authorities, (ii) the delivery of ARFF services as required by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), and (iii) provide immediate basic medical assistance consistent with training in the mitigation of life threats or injuries until more highly trained personnel are available.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to follow specific verbal and written instructions and pay attention to detail REQUIRED;
- Excellent oral and written communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills REQUIRED, and
- Basic knowledge and functional capability in the use of PC-based computers, word processing, spreadsheets and presentation software and operating systems REQUIRED.
TRAINING, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High School diploma or equivalent REQUIRED;
- Associate’s Degree in Criminal Justice, Fire Science or Emergency Services Management PREFERRED;
- 3 years of experience in Law Enforcement with a local, state, or federal police or sheriff’s department PREFERRED, and
- 3 years of experience in Fire Service and Emergency Services PREFERRED.
- Must have and maintain eligibility to possess a firearm;
- Must meet and maintain TSA security requirements for unescorted access to the Airport’s Security Identification Display Area(s) (SIDA), Sterile Area, and Airport Operations Area(s) (AOA);
- Must qualify and re-qualify to Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services standards with all firearms and weapons systems;
- Within 12 months of hire date (time frame may be extended by the Commission due to Academy scheduling and availability), become certified through the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services as a Law Enforcement Officer REQUIRED;
- Maintain Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services requirements for Law Enforcement Certification REQUIRED;
- Within 12 months of hire date (time frame may be extended by the Commission due to course scheduling and availability), become certified in Aircraft Rescue and Fire Fighting as required by Title 14, CFR, Part 139 REQUIRED;
- Within 12 months of hire date (time frame may be extended by the Commission due to Course scheduling and availability), become certified through the Virginia Department of Emergency Medical Services as a Emergency Medical Responder/First Responder REQUIRED;
- Must have or promptly obtain, and present, a valid Virginia driver’s license issued in accordance with state/local laws;
- Within 12 months of hire date, must possess a valid Virginia Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) REQUIRED;
- Will be required to stay in the appropriate physical condition to be able to perform all duties and pass a Commission established pre-employment and annual physical agility test;
- Must successfully complete a pre-employment medical examination, B.A.T., and 10 panel drug screen;
- Must undergo a multi-facet background investigation, and
- Failure to obtain and/or retain required certifications in Law Enforcement, Aircraft Rescue and Fire Fighting, and/or Emergency Medical Responder/First Responder within 12 months of date of hire MAY be grounds for immediate termination.
How to Apply
PLEASE BE AWARE OF THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION WHEN APPLYING FOR A JOB WITH THE ROANOKE REGIONAL AIRPORT COMMISSION:
To be considered for employment, applicants must submit a completed Commission application. Resumes, submitted without an application, will not be considered. Applications are accepted by mail, email, or in person at the Roanoke Regional Airport Commission Office, 5202 Aviation Drive NW, Roanoke, Virginia 24012, (second floor of the airport terminal.)
Applications will be available at the Commission’s office between 9:00 am and 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday, except holidays, or on the Commission’s website at www.flyroa.com. This posting will be open until filled. Job Posting #16-010.
Salary begins at $37,500. The starting pay adjusts on the salary range according to candidate’s certifications. (Certifications preferred).
The job listing specified below is not intended to be the complete description. Complete job descriptions are available on the Commission’s website and at the Commission office.
The employment process requires that candidates be U.S. citizens or able to secure a valid work permit issued by the U.S. Department of Labor or the U.S. Department of Justice prior to the beginning of employment with the Roanoke Regional Airport Commission.
This position has multiple requirements and preferences. Please read the entire job description before applying.