Norfolk PD First in Virginia to Join 'Neighbors' by Ring
The Norfolk Police Department announced today that it is the first law enforcement agency in the state of Virginia to join the Neighbors app by Ring (available via iOS/Android here: https://shop.ring.com/pages/neighbors) to provide the citizens of Norfolk with real-time, local crime and safety information. The Neighbors network already has millions of users and has been instrumental in catching package thieves, stopping burglaries, and keeping neighborhoods safe.
Contact Law Enforcement Liaison Brad Wentlandt at firstname.lastname@example.org or 414-940-1676.
Residents can download the free Neighbors app, join their neighborhood, and use the app to:
- monitor neighborhood activity;
- share crime and safety-related videos, photos and text-based posts; and,
- receive real-time safety alerts from their neighbors, local law enforcement, and the Ring team.
“The Norfolk Police Department is committed to finding innovative ways to serve our residents and keep their neighborhoods safe. In 2017 and 2018, we celebrated a historic double-digit reduction in crime; In 2019, our goal is to continue to build authentic relationships within our communities while reducing crime throughout Norfolk,” said Chief Larry D. Boone. “The Neighbors app provides a free and effective way for residents to receive updates from Norfolk police and for us to collaborate as a community in order to reduce crime. Norfolk residents are already using Neighbors to share crime and safety-related photos, videos and information with one another and we are excited to now be a part of the conversation.”
Jamie Siminoff, Chief Inventor and Founder of Ring, said: “Over the past few years we have learned that, when neighbors, the Ring team and law enforcement all work together, we can create safer communities. We're excited to have the Norfolk Police Department join Neighbors and applaud their leadership in utilizing this free and effective tool to engage residents with up-to-date local crime and safety information while maintaining neighbor privacy first and foremost.”
How It Works
- Download the Neighbors app on iOS and Android here: https://shop.ring.com/pages/neighbors
- Opt-in to join your neighborhood.
- Customize the geographic area you want to receive notifications for (users must verify where they are located and cannot participate in other neighborhoods).
- Receive real-time alerts from your neighbors, local law enforcement and the Ring team that inform of crime and safety alerts as they happen.
- View local crime and safety posts via a live feed or interactive map.
- Share text updates, photos and videos taken on any device, including Ring's home security devices.
- Work with your community to make neighborhoods safer.
Neighbors is a neighborhood watch app that provides real-time, local crime and safety information. Download the free Neighbors app (iOS/Android), join your neighborhood, and use the app to: monitor neighborhood activity; share crime and safety-related videos, photos and text-based posts; and receive real-time safety alerts from your neighbors, local law enforcement and the Ring team. Download Neighbors (iOS/Android) today to join your digital neighborhood watch. For more information visit www.ring.com/neighbors.
Ring's mission is to reduce crime in neighborhoods by creating a Ring of Security around homes and communities. Ring is an Amazon company. The Ring product line, along with Neighbors by Ring, enable Ring to offer affordable, whole-home and neighborhood security devices and services. In fact, one Los Angeles neighborhood saw a 55 percent decrease in home break-ins after Ring Doorbells were installed on just ten percent of homes. For more information, visit www.ring.com. With Ring, you're always home.
# # #
Norfolk Police Department Media Contact
Cpl. William D. Pickering Jr.
Public Information Office
Neighbors Media Contact
Public Relations Coordinator, Neighbors by Ring