University Police Officer
University Police Officer
The George Mason University Department of Police and Public Safety invites applications for the position of University Police Officer. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason's academic and culturally inclusive environment.
The Department of Police and Public Safety is an accredited, full-service law enforcement agency with a force of over 50 sworn officers that patrol the Arlington, Science and Technology (formerly Prince William), and Fairfax campuses.
This online application is equivalent to the commonwealth of Virginia state employment application and is required.
Duties, responsibilities, and requisite skills include: providing vehicle, bicycle or foot patrol of the campus; responding to suspicious activities; resolving complaints; investigating criminal and traffic incidents; and providing first responder aid when required. Other skills required are interviewing and taking statements, making arrests, filling case reports, testifying in court, and assisting other law enforcement agencies.
- Possess a High School diploma or equivalent (an advanced degree is desired);
- Possess a valid motor vehicle operator's license;
- Have U.S. citizenship as set out by the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS);
- Have reached 21 years of age by completion of academy training;
- Have no driving under the influence (DUI) convictions within the past two years;
- Have no illegal drug use within the past two years;
- Have no felony convictions or convictions of misdemeanors involving crimes of moral turpitude or gross misconduct;
- Must not have been found guilty by reason of mental illness for any crime;
- No convictions or restraining orders for domestic violence, or other disability to carrying firearms;
- Ability to perform law enforcement and security functions within the Department of Police and Public Safety;
- Successfully complete a physical agility assessment (scheduled for Saturday, February 16, 2019);
- Successfully complete physical, polygraph and psychological examinations;
- Successfully pass an in-depth background investigation;
- Successfully complete a course of instruction at a police academy approved by the Virginia DCJS (unless currently certified as a Police Officer through DCJS in the commonwealth of Virginia);
- Successfully complete a mandated Field Training Program administered by the department; and
- Must live within 75 miles of the Fairfax campus.
- Currently certified as a Police Officer in the commonwealth of Virginia;
- Previous law enforcement, military or security experience; and
- Previous experience at George Mason University or another college/university.
Both new and current state employees will be required to serve a one-year probationary period upon employment.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 00425z at http://jobs.gmu.edu by February 1, 2019; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information. The physical fitness assessment will be conducted at the George Mason University Fairfax Campus on Saturday, February 16, 2019.
Applicants must provide a valid e-mail address, as all communications from the department will be electronic.
Applicants will be e-mailed further information regarding the physical assessment after review of their online application.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/g879rkqp272hs9xy