General Description: This is a sworn position. The incumbent performs responsible protective service and human support work in providing security in the court rooms.
Organization: The Court Bailiff position is part of Hanover County's Career Development Plan (CD). The Court Bailiff has five (5) levels ranging from Court Bailiff to Court Bailiff – Career. The Court Bailiff reports to the Lieutenant-Court Services or Sergeant-Court Services and supervises no staff.
- Ensures the security and order of courtrooms prior to and during court sessions.
- Transports and supervises the movement of prisoners to and from court and secures in holding cells.
- Transports prisoners to other jails and institutions.
- Removes unruly individuals from the courtroom.
- Searches courtroom for contraband and inmates for unauthorized possession prior to court appearances.
- Responds and carries out all orders of the Judge.
- Serves summons, notices, warrants and capias.
- Each sworn officer in the Hanover County Sheriff's Office must maintain the ability to perform the essential job functions of a sworn law enforcement officer as described under the "Deputy Sheriff – Patrol" job description, regardless of their current assignment.
- Performs related work as assigned.
- Hazards — Interaction with people during stressful and dangerous situations
- Environment — Field
- Physical Effort — Must be able to maintain physical agility and endurance at all times
- Serves as the will of the Sheriff
- Criminal Records Check, including fingerprinting
- Valid Commonwealth of Virginia Driver's License
- Twelve-month probationary period
- Annual participation in Occupational Simulation Course
- Pre-employment Physical Examination/Drug Test/Alcohol Screening/Agility test, and repeated in accordance to policy thereafter
- Shift work, including weekends, nights and holidays
- Work beyond normal work schedule
- Essential staff designation
- Must wear uniform
All Court Bailiffs are hired at the starting salary of $38,176.00. Excellent benefits package.
Revision Date: August 2008
How to Apply
APPLY ONLINE at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/hanovercountyva
Special Instructions to Applicants:
PLEASE DO NOT ADD ANY ATTACHMENTS TO YOUR APPLICATION.
01 — Have you ever been convicted of a felony?
02 — Have you ever been convicted of domestic assault?
03 — Have you ever been convicted of driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs?
04 — Do you have a high school diploma or equivalent?
05 — Are you willing to working overtime, nights, weekends, or holidays?