Be sure to apply for positions as directed under "HOW TO APPLY"
in the Position Information box, and not simply by clicking on the "Apply for this Position" link on the right-hand side. Nearly every job advertised on the VACP Jobs Board requires that you use the hiring agency's own unique application process and they will not
consider information submitted through the "Apply for this Position" email form as an official application.
Performs difficult professional and administrative work assisting with over all department operations management or supervising a major section of the Police Department; does related work as required. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Chief of Police. Supervision is exercised over subordinate personnel.
Assisting with the overall direction and supervision of Police Department operations; supervising a major division; overseeing files, records, operations, personnel and support operations; preparing reports.
(The following tasks are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.)
- Assists in the planning, coordinating, supervising and evaluation of department operations.
- Assists in the development of programs, policies and procedures in order to implement directives.
- Supervises staff directly and others through subordinate supervisors.
- Reviews department performance and effectiveness; formulates programs or policies to alleviate deficiencies; reviews recruitment, hiring and retention practices; reviews training schedules; researches and conducts training; conducts staff inspections and reviews inspection reports.
- Assists in the preparation and presentation of the annual budget; assists in the implementation of the budget.
- Makes plans about individual tactical matters such as equipment to be used for particular operations or the detailed plans needed for an investigation; develops new approaches to investigate problems.
- Coordinates disaster related issues; researches homeland security questions and issues.
- Participates in high visibility and complex cases.
- Manages the C.I.D. which includes the major case unit, narcotics unit, forensic unit and intel unit.
- Conducts performance evaluations; recommends, administers and reviews disciplinary actions.
- Receives and responds to complaints; ensures any necessary corrective or disciplinary action is carried out.
- Performs related tasks as required.
||City of New Bern
||New Bern, NC
||$60,202 - $98,028
|Posting Start Date:
Education and Experience
Candidates must possess a Bachelor's Degree or equivalent from an accredited college or university with major course work in law enforcement, criminal justice or related field and extensive increasingly responsible law enforcement experience including experience at the rank of Lieutenant or above. Candidates may use equivalents of 120 semester hours credit or more from an accredited college or university. Candidates desiring to use equivalents must provide certified transcripts and documentation of schools attended and hours completed.
Must possess an Advanced Certification from the North Carolina Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission or Graduation from an executive management school equivalent to FBINA or AOMP. Must have current certification as a municipal or local government law enforcement officer by his/her respective state or with no more than one year break in full-time sworn service at time of appointment. Please note that North Carolina law does not recognize nor have a reciprocal relationship with Federal law enforcement certification. Must meet and maintain all requirements for the position as established by the City and the State of North Carolina.
Possession of an appropriate driver's license valid in the State of North Carolina.
Following the deadline, applications will be evaluated. Applicants who appear to have the most relevant qualifications will be invited to participate in the selection process. The process may include an initial interview, evaluation process (date to be determined) and an interview with the Chief of Police.
Salary Range: $60,202 - $98,028
Salary negotiable depending upon qualifications and experience.
Applications should be submitted at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/newbernnc
||This listing expires on: 6/24/2019