Police Officer #00953A
The University Police Department at Old Dominion University (Norfolk, VA) is seeking candidates for Law Enforcement Officer II:
Police Officers perform a wide range of tasks to promote overall public safety. Work involves protecting lives, property, and rights of the public; investigating criminal activity, and assisting in any university function as needed providing safety and security services. Officers are also responsible for testifying in court as well as preparing accurate and detailed reports. In addition to the physical skills needed to be an effective officer, Police Officers require strong ethical behavior, self-discipline, diplomacy, and human compassion.
Police Officer #00953A
||Old Dominion University
|Posting Start Date:
- Some customer service or some experience performing services for the public.
- Some knowledge of criminal laws, case laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, juvenile procedures, effective policing practices and due process.
- Knowledge of effective communication strategies.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Effective problem-solving skills and techniques including when serving diverse community members or situations.
- Good skills of observation and memory.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret, explain and apply established policies, procedures, case laws, and regulations.
- Demonstrated ability to make decisions based on established standards and an accurate assessment of situations.
- Demonstrated ability to make decisions, initiate actions to meet established objectives or deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to complete required documentation, and reports with accuracy.
- Ability to treat others with dignity and respect regardless of the situation.
- Ability to effectively utilize windows operating systems, Apple IOS, Microsoft Office Suite and similar products used to generate documents and facilitate communications.
- Ability to effectively operate police mobile recording equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to work both as a member of a team, as well as independently.
- Ability to work with aggressive or emotionally unstable persons while maintaining a professional demeanor.
- Demonstrated ability to provide services with superior community relations skills.
- Requires ability to deal courteously and effectively with a culturally diverse community.
- Ability to work shift work, during inclement weather, or emergency situations.
- Designated as Essential Personnel.
- Valid Virginia driver’s license or the ability to obtain one within 60 days of appointment. Must also have an insurable driving record.
- High school or GED; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Must successfully complete a Virginia law enforcement training academy and achieve state certification within one year of date of hire.
- Must also successfully achieve VCIN Certificated within 1 year of the date of hire.
- Additionally, must successfully complete an extensive background investigation, physical, and psychological testing.
- Several years of experience in law enforcement, preferably in a University setting.
- Certification as a Law Enforcement Officer as mandated by the Department of Criminal Justice Services.
- Some experience performing public safety or security duties. CPR and First Aid certification.
- Formal education beyond the secondary level with a bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Possession of a current VCIN and General Instructor certifications.
This position closes May 08, 2020. To review position requirements and submit an application, please visit http://jobs.odu.edu/postings/12041 and follow the online instructions.
Old Dominion University does not discriminate in admissions, treatment, employment or access to its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), political affiliation, veteran status, family medical and genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or disability. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
||This listing expires on: 5/2/2020