1) 20 years and 6 months of age at time of application, no upper age limit
2) High school graduate or valid G.E.D. certificate
3) Possession of a valid operator's license
4) Eyesight must meet minimum of 20/20 binocular vision. Corrective glasses may be worn. Uncorrected vision with glasses must be no worse than 20/100 in either eye. Corrective soft contact lenses may be worn. Uncorrected vision with soft contacts must be no worse than 20/200. Must demonstrate successful long term wear of lenses of 6 months minimum for pre-employment examination
5) U.S. Citizenship required at time of application
6) No felony convictions or domestic assault convictions
7) Be of good character and reputation
8) Have a favorable credit record
9) Have the ability to speak clearly, hear, analyze and react swiftly to high stress situations dealing with citizens
10) Successful completion of the applicant screening process
Those applicants that have successfully completed the hiring process and are offered employment will be required to sign and employment agreement that includes a non-tobacco use clause. Additionally, all sworn police department employees must comply with departmental appearance standards to include grooming, body piercing and tattoo policies. Tattoos: Tattoos or brands anywhere on the body that are obscene, offensive, related to gangs, or that advocate sexual, racial, ethnic, or religious discrimination are prohibited. Tattoos or brands visible anywhere on the head, neck or face are prohibited. If the particular nature of the tattoo or brand comes into question, the employee shall provide in writing, an explanation along with a photo of the meaning of the tattoo or brand, for review by a division commander in order to determine if the tattoo or brand meets the guidelines of this policy. If it is determined to be in violation of policy, the tattoo or brand must be fully covered. For further information, contact a background detective at 703-385-7955.
Only those applicants who have not applied within the past twelve months are invited to participate in the hiring process. Although individuals with minimum qualifications may apply, those with the highest levels of job related experience, education, and qualifications will receive favorable consideration.