Be sure to apply for positions as directed under "HOW TO APPLY"
in the Position Information box, and not simply by clicking on the "Apply for this Position" link on the right-hand side. Nearly every job advertised on the VACP Jobs Board requires that you use the hiring agency's own unique application process and they will not
consider information submitted through the "Apply for this Position" email form as an official application.
Perform general law enforcement work in order to preserve public peace and order; to protect lives, property and rights of the public, and to enforce the laws, and to diminish crime and provide a safe environment in the Town of Smithfield. Work involves patrolling of Town to deter crime or apprehend and/or arrest violators or suspects; responding to calls for law enforcement assistance and gathering information for criminal investigations. The employee is subject to the usual hazards of law enforcement work. Performs related work as required.
- Reduces the commission of crimes and maintains law enforcement by deterrence through high visibility patrol throughout the Town. Apprehends and/or arrests persons who violate statutory law and/or municipal ordinances.
- Monitors radio calls; communicates with radio dispatcher and responds to complaints, reports of criminal events, requests for law enforcement, and domestic or public disputes. Inspects troublesome areas and checks security of business establishments.
- Secures crime scenes.
- Gathers information in criminal investigations by interviewing victims, witnesses and suspects; performs searches of people, vehicles and buildings; prepares investigative reports of findings, facts and related information; makes arrests and processes arrested suspects. Detects and collects evidence and substances that provide the basis for probable cause for criminal acts; and testifies in court.
- Enforces traffic laws and regulations. Detects traffic violators; performs traffic accident investigations and makes reports. Facilitates the movement of traffic and pedestrians around accidents, disabled traffic control devices or heavily congested areas. Assists disabled motorists. Directs traffic for funerals and other public gatherings.
- Performs rescue functions at accidents, emergency scenes and disaster areas.
- Serves criminal warrants and search warrants.
- Completes and/or reviews paperwork documenting shift activities, offenses and incidents, victim and suspect statements and other related information.
- Assists other law enforcement personnel and agencies.
- Transports prisoners.
- Participates in a variety of law enforcement training and maintains certifications; and may train other personnel on radar, firearms, chemical agents, etc.
- Engages in public relations and community service activities and events to promote a positive image for the Department and to build cooperative and collaborative relationships with the community.
- May perform boat patrolling duties on adjacent waterways.
- Must serve on an on-call basis 24 hours a day as assigned.
- Maintains equipment and work area.
- Completes miscellaneous paperwork, time sheets, etc.
- Performs related duties as required.
Applicatons accepted through May 17, 2020. Pleaes visit www.smithfieldva.gov
||Town of Smithfield
|Posting Start Date:
- High School Diploma or GED required
- Associate’s Degree or equivalent combination of work and training preferred
- Graduation from law enforcement academy is preferred for hire. BLE Certification is required in order to perform essential functions.
- Must possess the ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions and to prepare clear reports
- Must possess the ability to deal professionally, courteously and fairly with the public
- Must possess the ability to analyze situations and to adopt quick, effective and reasonable courses of action with due regard to surrounding hazards and circumstances
- Must possess the ability to become skilled in the use of firearms and the operation of police vehicles;
- Must possess the ability and willingness to serve on an on-call basis 24 hours per day as assigned
- Must have a clear drivers’ license with no criminal or motor vehicle record.
- Must have no felony convictions.
||This listing expires on: 7/3/2020