PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE ANNOUNCEMENT PRIOR TO APPLYING.
PLEASE DO NOT ADD ANY ATTACHMENTS TO YOUR APPLICATION.
ONLY APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED THROUGH THE AGENCY PORTAL WILL BE PROCESSED:
General Description: This is a sworn position. The incumbent provides law enforcement services and protection for the Hanover County community. This work involves an element of personal danger.
Organization: The Deputy Sheriff position is part of Hanover County's Career Development Plan (CD). The Deputy Sheriff has five (5) levels ranging from Deputy Sheriff to Deputy Sheriff – Career. The Deputy Sheriff reports to a Lieutenant and supervises no staff.
· Patrols an assigned area and detects violations of traffic and criminal law
and suspicious activity.
· Responds to radio calls for service.
· Serves warrants and makes arrests.
· Handles domestic disturbances and a variety of citizen complaints.
· Directs traffic as necessary.
· Investigates automobile accidents and assists disabled motorists.
· Conducts criminal investigations.
· Testifies in court.
· Performs related work as assigned.
· Interaction with people during stressful and dangerous situations
C. Physical Effort
· Must be able to maintain physical agility and endurance at all times
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Working knowledge of modern police methods, practices and procedures and applicable Federal, State and County laws and ordinances. Knowledgeable of the County's geography and the location of important buildings and landmarks. Knowledgeable of the Sheriff's Office's standard operating procedures, rules and regulations, and executive orders, preferred. Skilled in the operation and handling of law enforcement equipment. Ability to interpret and follow oral and written instructions and to rapidly analyze situations and make sound decisions. Ability to maintain physical agility and endurance.
Education, Experience and Training: High school diploma or equivalent, required. Experience in handling stressful and dangerous situations and managing them toward positive resolutions, preferred. Any equivalent combination of education, experience and/or training sufficient to demonstrate the knowledge, skills and abilities is acceptable.
· Serves at the will of the Sheriff
· Criminal Records Check, including fingerprinting
· Valid Commonwealth of Virginia Driver's License
· Twelve-month probationary period
· Annual participation in Occupational Simulation Course
· Pre-employment Physical Examination/Drug Test/Alcohol Screening/Agility
test, and repeated in accordance to policy thereafter
· Shift work, including weekends, nights and holidays
· Work beyond normal work schedule
· Essential staff designation
· Must wear uniform
· The Investigators are subject to the department's on-call procedures.
All deputies are hired at the starting salary of $46,047.00.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $46,047.00 - $76,002.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Night shift
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- Hanover, VA 23069 (Required)
Company's Facebook page: