Patrol Officer - DCJS BLE Certified
Perform general law enforcement work in order to preserve public peace and order; to protect lives, property and rights of the public, and to enforce the laws, and to diminish crime and provide a safe environment in the Town of Smithfield. Work involves patrolling of Town to deter crime or apprehend and/or arrest violators or suspects; responding to calls for law enforcement assistance and gathering information for criminal investigations. The employee is subject to the usual hazards of law enforcement work. Performs related work as required.
- Reduces the commission of crimes and maintains law enforcement by deterrence through high visibility patrol throughout the Town. Apprehends and/or arrests persons who violate statutory law and/or municipal ordinances.
- Monitors radio calls; communicates with radio dispatcher and responds to complaints, reports of criminal events, requests for law enforcement, and domestic or public disputes. Inspects troublesome areas and checks security of business establishments.
- Secures crime scenes.
- Gathers information in criminal investigations by interviewing victims, witnesses and suspects; performs searches of people, vehicles and buildings; prepares investigative reports of findings, facts and related information; makes arrests and processes arrested suspects. Detects and collects evidence and substances that provide the basis for probable cause for criminal acts; and testifies in court.
- Enforces traffic laws and regulations. Detects traffic violators; performs traffic accident investigations and makes reports. Facilitates the movement of traffic and pedestrians around accidents, disabled traffic control devices or heavily congested areas. Assists disabled motorists. Directs traffic for funerals and other public gatherings.
- Performs rescue functions at accidents, emergency scenes and disaster areas.
- Serves criminal warrants and search warrants.
- Completes and/or reviews paperwork documenting shift activities, offenses and incidents, victim and suspect statements and other related information.
- Assists other law enforcement personnel and agencies.
- Transports prisoners.
- Participates in a variety of law enforcement training and maintains certifications; and may train other personnel on radar, firearms, chemical agents, etc.
- Engages in public relations and community service activities and events to promote a positive image for the Department and to build cooperative and collaborative relationships with the community.
- May perform boat patrolling duties on adjacent waterways.
- Must serve on an on-call basis 24 hours a day as assigned.
- Maintains equipment and work area.
- Completes miscellaneous paperwork, time sheets, etc.
- Performs related duties as required.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested, qualified candiates may apply on the Employment page of the Town of Smithfield website at www.smithfieldva.gov. Paper applications may be obtained fro 310 Institute Street, Smithfield, VA 23430.
Patrol Officer - DCJS BLE Certified
||Town of Smithfield
||Starting $40,728 - DOQ
|Posting Start Date:
||Applicants must be at least 21 years of age and possess a DCJS BLE Certification. Additionally, applicants must possess a high school diploma or GED, a valid Virginia driver’s license, and must have no felony or misdemeanor convictions involving moral turpitude. Ideal candidates will have completed college level course work in Criminal Justice or a related field. Selected individuals will be required to undergo a comprehensive background investigation, including drug/alcohol testing, a polygraph examination conducted by a qualified polygraph examiner, and medical examination conducted by a licensed physician. Individuals who have tattoos of any kind that are visible while wearing the official uniform of the Smithfield Police Department (i.e. forearms, legs, hands, neck or face) are not eligible for consideration. The parameters of this restriction include tattoos on the forearms and/or legs that cannot be completely covered by long sleeve uniform and pants while on duty.
Interested, qualified candidates please apply online at www.smithfieldva.gov
||This listing expires on: 4/16/2021