Police Officer (Certified & Non-Certified)
The certified police officer performs responsible protective service work involving a variety of general or support duty police assignments. Much of the work is performed under emergency conditions and frequently involves considerable personal hazard. Work is performed under the regular supervision of a sergeant.
Police Officer (Certified & Non-Certified)
||Lexington Police Department
||Pay Grade P: $16.94--$25.91 per hour dependent on qualifications
|Posting Start Date:
- Enforces laws, investigates criminal activity, ensures safety of the public, testifies in court, maintains records and files, and prepares reports;
- Promotes crime prevention and safety theories and practices that can be implemented in communities to deter criminal activity. Plans and/or participates in safety / educational programs and presentations at local businesses, schools, community meetings and events;
- Promotes favorable public relations and police/community relations through personal contact with community residents, civic organizations, community/government agencies, social agencies, schools and representatives of business/industry;
- Is assigned to a shift, operates a patrol vehicle or walks to observe for violations of traffic laws, suspicious activities or persons, and for disturbances of law and order;
- Responds to radio dispatches and answers calls and complaints;
- Enforces traffic laws and parking ordinances, issues citations for traffic violations and investigates traffic accidents;
- Serves warrants and makes arrests;
- Provides police escorts, directs traffic, and performs residential and commercial building checks;
- Reports unsafe conditions existing in street or other public facilities;
- Assists other police officers and other law enforcement agencies when requested;
- Responds to inquiries and complaints, and provides directions to visitors;
- Makes presentations about law enforcement and the Police Department to citizens, groups, colleges, etc.;
- Interviews suspects, victims and witnesses;
- Prepares detailed reports on activities and assignments;
- Participates in a variety of in-service training programs;
- Provides court testimony;
- Performs related tasks as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Some knowledge of police methods, practices and procedures;
- General knowledge of the geography of the City of Lexington and the location of important buildings;
- Some knowledge of the rules and regulations of the Police Department;
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions and to prepare clear and comprehensive reports;
- Ability to deal courteously, firmly and tactfully with the general public;
- Ability to analyze situations and to adopt quick, effective and reasonable courses of action with due regard to surrounding hazards and circumstances;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and with the general public;
- Possession of physical agility and endurance;
- Skill in the use of firearms and the operation of a motor vehicle.
Education and Experience:
Requires a high school diploma or GED equivalent as well as completion of basic training and certification as a police officer in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Must be a United States citizen at the time of application.
- Must be 21 years of age at time of application.
- Possession of an appropriate driver’s license valid in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Must meet and maintain all department and State training and education requirements for position.
- Be of good moral character.
- May not have any felony convictions.
- May not have committed any acts of violence.
- Must pass a comprehensive background investigation.
- Must pass a physical examination and drug screening.
- Must pass a psychological screening.
- Must complete personal history questionnaire.
This is medium work requiring the exertion of 50 pounds of force occasionally, up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Work requires climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, finger dexterity, grasping and feeling. Vocal communication is required for conveying detailed or important instructions to others accurately, loudly, or quickly. Hearing is required to receive detailed information through oral communications and/or to make fine distinctions in sound. Visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, use of measuring devices, operation of machines, operation of motor vehicles or equipment, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities. The worker is subject to inside and outside environmental conditions, extreme cold, extreme heat, noise, vibration, hazards, atmospheric conditions, and oils. The worker may be exposed to bloodborne pathogens and may be required to wear specialized personal protective equipment.
Application forms are available at the City of Lexington, 300 E. Washington Street, Lexington, VA 24450, and online .
Applications must be returned to the City of Lexington, 300 E. Washington Street or via email at email@example.com . Position is open until filled.
||This listing expires on: 11/21/2021