SALARY: $104,640.36 - $123,000.00 Annually
JOB TYPE: Regular Full-Time
OPENING DATE: 11/04/21
CLOSING DATE: 12/05/21 11:59 PM
Performs complex professional work planning, managing, leading, and providing policy direction for City Police activities to include emergency communications and animal control, and related work as apparent or assigned. Work involves setting policies and goals. Supervision is exercised over all personnel within the department.
**PLEASE VISIT https://hopewellva.gov/employment-opportunities/ TO LEARN MORE OR TO APPLY. ONLY APPLICATIONS RECEIVED THROUGH THE CITY OF HOPEWELL'S CAREERS PAGE WILL BE CONSIDERED.**
||City of Hopewell
||$104,640.36 - $123,000.00
|Posting Start Date:
||EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Plans, organizes, directs, assesses, and controls the operations of the Police department via Deputy Chief and subordinate managers and reviews of operational and administrative reports.
- Attends meetings and serves on committees, boards, and agencies related to promoting crime prevention and improving law enforcement.
- Attends internal and external meetings, community events, and City Council meetings; makes periodic public addresses and meets with the news media for interviews.
- Reviews all OPS investigations (pursuits, use of force, accidents, and complaints); takes appropriate disciplinary action as needed.
- Develops and controls the annual budget and grants; monitors expenditures.
- Develops and implements Police policy, procedures, rules, regulations, and programs.
- Assumes command in emergency situations and determine tactics/strategies, which directly affect the safety and security of lives and property as necessary; responds to calls as needed.
- Recruits and selects department personnel; assigns, directs, trains, and inspects the work of staff; coaches, counsels, and evaluates the performance of staff; recommends personnel actions such as suspensions or promotions.
- Oversees the maintenance of all records and materials associated with law enforcement activities or administration.
- Minimum Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in criminal justice administration, law enforcement, or related field and extensive experience in police administration including extensive managerial experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible law enforcement managerial and leadership experience including five (5) years of law enforcement experience in a senior manager position.
- Licenses and/or Certifications:
- Valid Law Enforcement Officer Certification from Virginia DCJS, or eligible for certification within 12 months.
- Valid driver's license in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Must meet and maintain all training and education requirements for position.
- Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of the laws and regulations relating to law enforcement administration.
- Thorough knowledge of the scientific methods of crime detection, criminal identification, and radio communication, and of City locations, laws, and ordinances.
- Proven experience in a wide range of law enforcement activities, such as patrol, investigations, drug enforcement and community policing.
- Leadership, strategic, and long-term planning skills.
- Analytical, communication, presentation, organization, and computer skills.
- Ability to deal with City officials and the general public and to take and recommend appropriate action.
- Ability to deal with multiple projects/issues at the same time.
- Work Environment: Work is primarily performed in an indoor, climate-controlled, pleasant environment.
- Essential Physical Activities: Walking, hearing, seeing up close, seeing far away, talking, finger movement, and depth perception.
||This listing expires on: 12/4/2021