Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Working knowledge of modern police methods, practices and procedures and applicable Federal, State and County laws and ordinances. Knowledgeable of the County's geography and the location of important buildings and landmarks. Knowledgeable of the Sheriff's Office's standard operating procedures, rules and regulations, and executive orders, preferred. Skilled in the operation and handling of law enforcement equipment. Ability to interpret and follow oral and written instructions and to rapidly analyze situations and make sound decisions. Ability to maintain physical agility and endurance.
Education, Experience and Training: High school diploma or equivalent, required. Experience in handling stressful and dangerous situations and managing them toward positive resolutions, preferred. Any equivalent combination of education, experience and/or training sufficient to demonstrate the knowledge, skills and abilities is acceptable.
· Serves at the will of the Sheriff
· Criminal Records Check, including fingerprinting
· Valid Commonwealth of Virginia Driver's License
· Twelve-month probationary period
· Annual participation in Occupational Simulation Course
· Pre-employment Physical Examination/Drug Test/Alcohol Screening/Agility
test, and repeated in accordance to policy thereafter
· Shift work, including weekends, nights and holidays
· Work beyond normal work schedule
· Essential staff designation
· Must wear uniform
· The Investigators are subject to the department's on-call procedures.