Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: General knowledge of court procedures and of police methods, practices and procedures, required. Knowledge of the geography of the County, required. Ability to exercise tact and judgment in handling visitors of the court and in maintaining the behavior of prisoners. Ability to follow oral and written instruction. Ability to develop skill in the use of firearms. Ability to analyze situations and adopt quick, effective and reasonable courses of action.
Education, Experience and Training: High school diploma or equivalent required. Ability to successfully complete the appropriate training as prescribed by the Commonwealth of Virginia for this position. Any equivalent combination of education, experience and/or training sufficient to demonstrate the knowledge, skills and abilities is acceptable.
• Serves as the will of the Sheriff
• Criminal Records Check, including fingerprinting
• Valid Commonwealth of Virginia Driver's License
• Twelve-month probationary period
• Annual participation in Occupational Simulation Course
• Pre-employment Physical Examination/Drug Test/Alcohol
Screening/Agility test, and repeated in accordance to policy thereafter
• Shift work, including weekends, nights and holidays
• Work beyond normal work schedule
• Essential staff designation
• Must wear uniform
Revision Date: January 2008