General Investigations Detective
$5,200 sign-on incentive.
Salary will be commiserate with training and experience.
The Fredericksburg Police department is accepting applications for the position of General Investigations Detective. Detectives are responsible for the prevention, detection, investigation, and prosecution of criminal violations related to crimes against persons and property in the City of Fredericksburg. Detectives may be assigned to investigate any type of crime, but assignments are typically made based upon the detective's training and experience. Detectives may be required to specialize in particular areas including, but not limited to: sex offenses, domestic violence, fraud, property crimes, major felonies and forensics.
Detectives at the Fredericksburg Police Department work a fixed schedule. This position also requires work outside the normal schedule to complete the mission. This includes but is not limited to overtime details, major events, and undercover investigations.
Preferred Skills and Abilities:
Candidates must possess an avid interest in being a General Investigations Detective and should possess the following in order to be successful:
- Knowledge of laws and procedures related to criminal investigations
- Knowledge of search and seizure laws and procedures
- Knowledge of crime scene and evidence management
- Knowledge of interview techniques to include but not limited to:
- Reid Interview and Interrogation
- ChildFirst Forensic Interviewing
- Polygraph Examinations
- Crisis Stabilization/Crisis Negotiation
- Knowledge of Virginia Department of Forensic Science Evidence Handling Techniques
- Virginia Department of Forensic Science academy alumni
- Fingerprint Examination/AFIS experience
- Knowledge of Computer/Mobile Device forensics
- Experience from any specialty task force assignment
- Ability to work with minimal supervision or direct supervision where applicable
- Ability to use computers to research information
- Willingness to follow directions to achieve the goals and objectives of the division
- Ability to react quickly both mentally and physically to potentially dangerous situations
NOTE: No significance should be placed on the order of these skills and abilities.
Come be part of a knowledgeable and amazing work team committed to excellence in serving a thriving and growing community. All City employees are committed to our City’s Core Values
. This position is open until filled. For questions or to apply, contact Sergeant Chris Menck at firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional information about our hiring process may be found on the Fredericksburg Police Department’s web page: Employment | Fredericksburg, VA - Official Website (fredericksburgva.gov)
City of Fredericksburg
Human Resources Department
P. O. Box 7447
Fredericksburg, VA 22404-7447