Director of Public Safety - Morganton, NC
The City of Morganton is a vibrant and energized city of 17,000 located in the foothills of North Carolina, nicknamed “Nature’s Playground” for its scenic rural landscapes and abundant outdoor adventure opportunities. The natural beauty of our area is matched with a can-do spirit of an innovative local government that has a history of making things happen to actively shape the future. We offer amenities found in larger cities while still maintaining our small-town charm. Due to retirement of our Chief after more than 27 years of service with the City, we are looking for an experienced, innovative public safety executive to join the City’s Leadership Team and continue moving Morganton forward. This provides a great opportunity in this community as well as the benefits included in being a sworn officer in North Carolina, including 5% 401k contribution, 5 year vesting in the NC Local Government Employee's Retirement System - one of the best funded pension systems in the country, and a special separation allowance for officers retiring before the age of 62 with an unreduced pension.
Morganton Public Safety is a full-service, multi-purpose agency, responsible for providing the highest quality of police and fire services. The City of Morganton City Council adopted the Public Safety concept in the late 1970s. The department has an annual budget of $10.5 million that includes 94 positions, with 59 sworn officers who are also trained firefighters, 26 fire-only personnel, and 9 administrative support positions.
The members of Morganton Public Safety are committed to protect the lives, property, and Constitutional Rights of all residents and visitors of the community by providing professional law enforcement and fire protection services. There is a commitment to enhance the quality of life in the City of Morganton by working in partnership with the community to enforce the law, preserve peace, reduce fear, and maintain order. Public Safety is committed to accomplishing its mission to protect the lives and property of all citizens of Morganton by treating every citizen with courtesy, professionalism, and respect and to enforce the laws impartially.
Our core values and principles guide our conduct and decisions; we accept nothing less.
Integrity - High ethical standards, honesty and fairness
Professionalism- Individual excellence, education and training
Honor - Official dignity, repute, and esteem
Accountability - To take responsibility for all actions and decisions
Respect - Treating others as you would like to be treated
Equality - Fair, impartial and equitable treatment of all people
: Morganton Public Safety strives to be a leader in the delivery of public safety services, which combines law enforcement and fire protection. Employees strive to be leaders in our community in name and deed, conducting themselves in a manner to which others will aspire. The department is committed to community policing and community engagement programs that help foster and develop strong partnerships with an engaged community. Morganton Public Safety is committed to being respectful, transparent and accountable to the public, engaging in ethical and professional standards of conduct and continuous improvements to meet and exceed our community’s expectations.
What We Need:
What You Can Expect:
- A seasoned, insightful leader who will work as a part of the City’s leadership team with a broad perspective of the community and City beyond law enforcement.
- A discerning individual with excellent emotional intelligence and the ability to lead the department, tailoring the best public safety practices to the Morganton environment.
- A strong communicator with outstanding interpersonal and community-relations skills.
- A proficient administrator and manager, capable of handling long range and strategic planning, complex problem-solving and decision making, staffing, mentoring, training, succession planning, budgeting, technology and other resource management.
- The chosen candidate will work with a team of committed professionals who look for constant improvement. The status quo is not acceptable in Morganton and collaboration is an operational standard.
- You will have the opportunity to earn the respect of your coworkers through your expertise, teamwork, and commitment.
- Strong community support for the Public with established relationships with key community leaders and organizations.
- Great partnership and working relationship with sheriff’s department and other government agencies.
Morganton operates under a Council-Manager form of government and this position reports directly to the City Manager. There is strong support for Public Safety from the City Manager and City Council.
We want to ensure we select the best candidate and put them in the best position to succeed.Initial review of applications will begin in late May to begin a progressive selection process, with selected applicants being moved along to the next phase.The phases include a supplemental application, interviews, and a two-day assessment center in tentatively scheduled for mid-July.If you are interested, please visit www.morgantonnc.gov
for additional information and a job application. Please submit a completed application, resume, and cover letter to:
Human Resources / City of Morganton, PO Box 3448, Morganton NC 28680-3448; or email to HR@morgantonnc.gov.Equal Opportunity Employer