The Colonial Beach Police Department is now accepting applications for the position of Police Officer, full time. Candidates must successfully complete a thorough background investigation, including a pre-employment medical exam. Candidates may be subject to a physical agility test. Candidates must meet the minimum employment criteria set forth in Virginia Code §15.2-1705 and be committed to the highest level of professionalism, integrity, and accountability. The Town of Colonial Beach sits on the southern bank of the Potomac River and is a small community in Virginia’s picturesque Northern Neck. The town has a year-round population of approximately 3,700 but doubles and triples during the summer months, especially on holiday weekends and during festival weekends which take place yearly, from May to October.
Perform general law enforcement work in order to preserve public peace and order; to protect lives, property and rights of the public, and to enforce the laws, and to diminish crime and provide a safe environment in the Town of Colonial Beach. Work involves patrolling of the Town to deter crime or apprehend and/or arrest violators or suspects; responding to calls for law enforcement assistance and gathering information for criminal investigations. The employee is subject to the usual hazards of law enforcement work. Performs related work as required.
• Reduces the commission of crimes and maintains law enforcement by deterrence through high visibility patrol throughout the Town. Apprehends and/or arrests persons who violate statutory law and/or municipal ordinances.
• Monitors radio calls. Communicates with radio dispatcher and responds to complaints, reports of criminal events, requests for law enforcement, and domestic or public disputes. Inspects troublesome areas and checks security of business establishments.
• Secures crime scenes.
• Gathers information in criminal investigations by interviewing victims, witnesses, and suspects; performs searches of people, vehicles and buildings; prepares investigative reports of findings, facts and related information; makes arrests and processes arrested suspects. Detects and collects evidence and substances that provide the basis for probable cause for criminal acts; and testifies in court.
• Enforces traffic laws and regulations. Detects traffic violators; performs traffic accident investigations and makes reports. Facilitates the movement of traffic and pedestrians around accidents, disabled traffic control devices or heavily congested areas. Assists disabled motorists. Directs traffic for funerals and other public gatherings.
• Performs rescue functions at accidents, emergency scenes and disaster areas.
• Serves criminal warrants and search warrants.
• Completes and/or reviews paperwork documenting shift activities, offenses and incidents, victim and suspect statements and other related information.
• Assists other law enforcement personnel and agencies.
• Transports prisoners.
• Participates in a variety of law enforcement training and maintains certifications; and may train other personnel on radar, firearms, chemical agents, etc.
• Engages in public relations and community service activities and events to promote a positive image for the Department and to build cooperative and collaborative relationships with the community.
• Maintains equipment and work area.
• Completes miscellaneous paperwork, time sheets, etc.
• Performs related duties as required.
• Take-home car program
• Virginia State Retirement (VRS with enhanced hazardous duty benefits)
• Excellent health and dental coverage with dependent options
• Life insurance coverage with dependent options
• Paid vacation, sick, and holiday time
• Uniforms and equipment provided
• Career advancement opportunities through Career Development Program and/or promotions
• Numerous overtime and extra duty opportunities
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Town of Colonial Beach provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
1. This position description is subject to change at any time as the needs of the Town change. Nothing set forth herein restricts the Town’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time with or without notice.
2. Position open until filled. Applications may be obtained from Town Hall, 315 Douglas Avenue, Colonial Beach, VA 22443, or online at WWW.COLONIALBEACHVA.NET. You will find the application under the Government tab then click Departments then Human Resources. Return the completed application and a resume to Human Resources via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
||Town of Colonial Beach
||Colonial Beach, VA
|Posting Start Date:
||Candidates must successfully complete a thorough background investigation, including a pre-employment medical exam. Candidates may be subject to a physical agility test. Candidates must meet the minimum employment criteria set forth in Virginia Code §15.2-1705 and be committed to the highest level of professionalism, integrity, and accountability.
||This listing expires on: 7/14/2022