Chief of Police
|Posting Start Date:
Performs complex protective service and administrative work in administering, directing and coordinating activities of the Police Department. Responsible for the efficiency, productivity and quality of activities performed by the department. Does related work as required. Work involves wide discretion and is performed under the general supervision of the Deputy County Administrator.
Initial review of applications will begin on October 10, 2022 and preference will be given to application materials received end of business day on October 17, 2022. To be considered, please submit a cover letter, resumé with salary history and five (5) professional references. All applications will be kept confidential through the hiring process. The County will review recommended candidates who most closely meet the established criteria and finalists should be interviewed in Roanoke during the month of October 2022.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Develops and enforces departmental disciplinary measures when necessary
- Directs the investigation of major criminal offenses
- Cooperates with state and federal officers in the apprehension of wanted persons
- Attends meetings and serves on committees, boards and agencies related to promoting crime prevention and improving law enforcement
- Financial planning and budgeting with a specific emphasis on the aggressive and successful pursuit of state and federal grant opportunities as well as the successful administration of grant funding
- Providing oral and written presentations on behalf of the department to the County Administrator, the Board of Supervisors, citizens, public and private agencies, community groups, and the media
- Coordinating with appropriate internal and external agencies to develop strong mutual aid agreements and regional partnerships
- Planning for long-term department staffing, training, and equipment demands
- Leading, planning, organizing, evaluating, and coordinating the development and implementation of policies and procedures in accordance with applicable state laws and county ordinances
- Assuring departmental compliance with all applicable laws, ordinances, certifications, regulations, and standards of good business practice in all department activities and endeavors
- Leading, planning, organizing, evaluating, directing, and coordinating the work of subordinate personnel in conducting police functions in collaboration and cooperation with other county departments and neighboring communities
- Managing the recruitment, training, and certification functions of the department
- Providing for accurate record keeping and ensuring training, safety, certification, incident reports, and other necessary records and reports are complete and up to date
- Preparing and supervising the development and management of the department’s annual budget
- Researching and developing recommendations and implementing approved operational policies, expenditures, plans, and administrative matters as they affect the operation of the department
Required: Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a Bachelor’s Degree in public administration, law enforcement or related field from an accredited University.
Preferred: Master's Degree or other advanced degree from an accredited college and graduation from a nationally recognized police executive training program and/or other advanced law enforcement executive training.
Required: Extensive law enforcement experience including demonstrated progressively successful command level experience
Required: Valid Virginia driver's license with good driving record.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Comprehensive knowledge of laws, rules and court decisions relating to the administration of criminal justice and law enforcement
- Comprehensive knowledge of scientific methods of crime detection, criminal identification and radio communications
- Comprehensive knowledge of controlling laws and ordinances
- Comprehensive knowledge of the geography of the County
- Demonstrated ability to lead and direct the activities of police personnel
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with officials and with the general public
- Ability to exercise good judgment and to adopt effective and reasonable courses of action with due regard to surrounding hazards and circumstances
- Ability to evaluate the effectiveness of the department and to institute improvements
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Ability to organize the work of others and manage resources for maximum efficiency and coverage
- Resourcefulness and sound judgment in emergencies
- Demonstrated integrity
Subject to complete criminal history background and Child Protective Services search with acceptable results. Following a conditional offer of employment, must pass a post offer physical examination. Must be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description. Must meet all existing standards of the Roanoke County Police Department. Must possess and maintain good physical fitness.
Manages a large staff of over 150 public safety professional, technical and support workers
To view full job description and to apply, please visit the following link:
||This listing expires on: 11/21/2022