Public Safety Aide (Civilian)
The City of Falls Church is recruiting for a permanent full-time (40 hours per week) Public Safety Aide. The individual selected for this position will work in the police department in the City of Falls Church, Virginia. The City of Falls Church is seeking dynamic and goal-driven employees who are motivated to take on today's greatest challenges and rewards in the field of local public service. Employees who are passionate about making a difference and achieving our mission: Committed to providing and maintaining the highest quality public safety service to the community at large and to its neighboring partners through prevention, intervention, investigations, and enforcement in all facets of the criminal justice and emergency management systems.
The selected candidate will be responsible for working shiftwork of intermediate difficulty in performing paraprofessional and technical duties within the Police Department.
- An employee in this class performs a variety of duties in support of sworn police officials including preliminary investigations of automobile accidents, directing traffic, supporting special events, and informing the community of City regulations and services relating to physical and sanitary conditions of public right of ways, buildings and the grounds surrounding them, vacant lots, and abandoned vehicles.
- Duties include the preparation of various reports, utilization of police communication equipment, operating a motor vehicle and issuance of parking tickets, testifying in court, provide limited traffic control for school crossings, emergency incidents, and special events. Public Safety Aides are unarmed civilian employees with no arrest powers.
- Assignments are received in the form of general outlines for desired results. Detailed instructions are received only for unusual situations or when procedures are changed. The employee is expected to exercise considerable independent judgment and initiative.
- Performs related tasks as required.
- Any past criminal activity on the part of the applicant.
- Completeness and truthfulness of all statements made during the selection process.
- Any past or present use of drugs.
The present standards of the Falls Church Police Department would disqualify an applicant if any of the following were indicated as a result of the review of the application packet, polygraph examination, or background investigation. NOTE: These are guidelines and are not limited to the drugs listed in this package. A background investigation will be conducted as part of the testing process to determine if the "Moral Character" of the candidate is appropriate for employment as a Public Safety Aide. "Moral Character" is determined by examination of the life experiences of the candidate including, but not limited to, the above-listed factors. Other factors, such as past illegal drug use, history of arrest, incidents of theft, prior work, and driving history, will also be considered. If you determine that these standards would not disqualify you as a candidate, we look forward to your application and wish you the best of luck in the examination process.
Salary & Benefits
The position salary starts at $41,200. This position includes a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, dental insurance, pension plan, deferred compensation plan, flexible spending account, college savings plan, life, and long-term disability insurance, paid holidays, vacation and sick leave, free parking, credit union membership, and more. See more details on benefits here.
Reasonable Accommodation: During the selection process, applicants with disabilities may request reasonable accommodation with the mutual agreement of the hiring authority and the Human Resources Division. Requests for reasonable accommodation should be directed to the Human Resources Division. The City of Falls Church does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, or disability.
The City of Falls Church is committed to the letter and spirit of the Americans with Disabilities Act. This document will be made available in an alternate format upon request. Call HR Director Steven J. Mason, Sr., at 703-248-5129, (TTY 711).
All City Facilities Are Smoke-Free
Please direct questions regarding this position to FCPDhiring@fallschurchva.gov