Chief of Police - Biddeford, ME
City of Biddeford, Maine (population 22,569)
is seeking its next Chief of Police. Well-recognized as an innovative and professional department, members of the agency embrace and excel in their important role of community engagement. The strength of the Biddeford Police Department comes from the individuals that proudly serve the community and are dedicated to making the city a better place. The Biddeford Police Department is seeking a leader who invests in the people of the agency and encourages and supports future leaders.
The Chief of Police serves as a key member of the City’s management team and is expected to participate in decision-making efforts that will drive the growth and success of the community. The Chief must have the vision to plan for the recruitment and retention challenges currently facing law enforcement, and this plan must carry the department into the community’s continuously evolving future.
About the Community
Located 15 miles south of Portland, Biddeford is Maine’s sixth-largest City and its youngest, with a population of 25,000. Biddeford is both a riverside and seaside community. Its busy commercial and medical centers and University campus are balanced with areas of forests and rural farmland. A former manufacturing center, Biddeford has experienced an economic revival centered on a nationally recognized creative community in our downtown, recently exemplified in Heart of Biddeford’s selection as a 2022 recipient of the Great American Main Street Award and Food & Wine Magazine’s ranking of Biddeford’s food scene as among America’s best. The City has been proactive in working with the private sector to stimulate more than $100 million in private investment over the last decade, with an additional $200 million of new mixed-use private investment, including just over 1,100 residential units, planned to be developed in the near term. With much to offer, the City aims to be a warm, welcoming, and diverse community where families want to live, work and play.
About the Department
The Biddeford Police Department is comprised of 56 sworn officers and 27 non-sworn employees, the majority of which serve as dispatchers in its communication center. The Department has a strong focus on addressing mental health with compassion from two Community Engagement Specialists as well as an Opioid Outreach Liaison.
The current Chief of Police has served in his role for 40 years, maintaining his ability to provide strong leadership for the department while always seeking out new ways to innovate and be ahead of the curve. The next Chief must recognize the department’s history and the work that has been done to continuously improve and evolve the department, while also setting a clear vision for the future of the agency.
The Chief of Police will have responsibility for the Department’s three divisions: Patrol, Criminal Investigations, and Support Services. The Department’s mission is to “Provide professional and progressive law enforcement services that enhance the quality of life, promote a safe and caring environment, and ensure the fair and respectful treatment of each individual”.
The Biddeford Police Department is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA) and the selected chief must maintain this standard.
Competitive candidates will possess the following attributes
- Proven track record of success in a comparable community and a demonstrable commitment to equity and inclusion
- Firm grasp of municipal law enforcement methods and willingness to adapt to evolving standards and practices in accordance with community needs and expectations
- Ability to develop and maintain positive relationships with elected officials, business and community leaders, advisory boards, the news media, and general public
- Exceptional communicator with the ability to inspire credibility and public trust and interact respectfully with citizens from all backgrounds
- Ability to negotiate agreements and/or reach consensus among diverse interests
- Respected mentor skilled in identifying, developing, and collaborating with high-quality staff to achieve effective and efficient service delivery
- Ability to attract and retain a diverse staff of sworn and civilian employees that reflects the community
- Leads as a positive role model for customer service, ethical behavior, transparency, dispute resolution, and problem-solving, fostering a culture that values and respects all members of the team and the community
Requirements for the Chief of Police:
- Have strong and transparent communication skills with an open-minded attitude towards employee related problem solving.
- Recruiting and training are an integral part, and it is imperative to have a leader who is skilled in these areas
- Will need to be invested in all areas of our department from dispatch to innovative use of technology to community policing.
Salary and How to Apply
- Maine commissioned officer or able to be commissioned within six months
- Bachelor’s degree; Master’s preferred
- 10 years of law enforcement experience with 5 years of supervision and management experience
- Knowledge and understanding of CALEA standards
- Labor and management experience
Salary range $99,208 - $130,918 +/- DOQ. Well-qualified individuals are invited to apply electronically by submitting a resume, a cover letter, and contact information for at least five (5) professional references to www.GovHRjobs.com
. Questions can be addressed to the attention of Jon Fehlman, Vice President, GovHR USA, at email@example.com, 615-692-9264. This position is Open Until Filled
. The first review of applications will take place on December 5, 2022. Applicants are encouraged to submit their application as soon as possible for consideration.
MANDATORY APPLICATION QUESTIONNAIRE – Must be completed and submitted along with application.
Biddeford, ME – Police Chief Mandatory Application Questionnaire