Police Officer (Full-Time)
The Waynesboro Police Department seeks dedicated and self-motivated individuals who value exceptional job performance, respect for all citizens, and the desire to serve the community. A college education is desired but not required. Applications are accepted year-round and are reviewed on an as-needed basis. Starting salary $47,000 yearly-$50,642.50 yearly DOQ. Virginia Certified Police Officers are eligible for a $6000 sign-on bonus after successful completion of our accelerated certified officer field training program. Non-Certified Police Officer Applicants are eligible for a $3000 sign-on bonus after successful completion of our Field Training Program. You may contact the Police Department with any questions regarding the employment process timeline and job opening availability at 540-942-6682 or via email at email@example.com.
Police Officer (Full-Time)
||Waynesboro Police Department
|Posting Start Date:
||GENERAL DEFINITION & CONDITIONS OF WORK:
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/TYPICAL TASKS:
- Performs intermediate protective service work involving a variety of general or support duty police assignments; does related work as required. Much of the work is performed under emergency conditions and frequently involves considerable personal hazards. Work is performed under the regular supervision of selected personnel in accordance with the Waynesboro Police Department Organizational Chart.
- This is medium work requiring the exertion of 50 pounds of force occasionally, up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects; work requires climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, and feeling; vocal communication is required for conveying detailed or important instructions to others accurately, loudly, or quickly; hearing is required to receive detailed information through oral communications and/or to make fine distinctions in sound; visual acuity is required for peripheral vision, preparing and analyzing written or computer data, visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, use of measuring devices, operation of machines, operation of motor vehicles or equipment, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities; the worker is subject to inside and outside environmental conditions, extreme cold, extreme heat, noise, vibration, hazards, atmospheric conditions, and oils. The worker may be exposed to bloodborne pathogens and may be required to wear specialized personal protective equipment.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
- Performs all activities in accordance with the law and Waynesboro Police Department General orders.
- Adheres to the Law Enforcement Code of Ethics as contained in General Order 5.01.
- Enforces criminal and traffic laws placing charges and making arrests where warranted while using appropriate officer discretion.
- Investigates suspicious or criminal activity and investigate criminal cases as assigned to a logical conclusion.
- Investigates reportable motor vehicle crashes to a logical conclusion, placing charges whenever fault can be determined.
- Maintains records and files; prepares reports, summonses, and other law enforcement documents.
- Operates department computers and authorized computer applications, and enters and retrieves data in records management systems as required.
- Works assigned shift, power shift, special assignments, special details, or special events as required. Works overtime as required including on short notice in case of unforeseen emergencies.
- Communicates accurately, truthfully, and with proper demeanor.
- Gives testimony in criminal and civil proceedings as required
- Operates police department vehicles under non-emergency and emergency conditions
- Responds to radio dispatches and answers calls for service in the most timely, efficient, and professional manner possible.
- Responds to animal control calls for service in the absence of, or in assistance to, the Animal Control Officer. Takes appropriate action
- Proactively seeks out criminal activity, law violations, public disorder, and other public safety concerns. Takes appropriate action.
- Serves and properly executes warrants, summons, protective orders, emergency custody orders, temporary custody orders, and other processes as required.
- Directs traffic as required in accordance with training and law.
- Performs duties of desk relief officer when assigned.
- Processes, photographs, fingerprints arrestees, and others as required.
- Ensures the safety and security of all persons in his custody in accordance with law and other policies contained in these general orders.
- Reports unsafe conditions existing in the street or other public facilities.
- Assists other officers, divisions, and agencies with investigations as needed.
- Interviews victims, witnesses, and suspects as needed.
- Properly collects, labels, logs and reports property and evidence as required.
- Performs crime prevention and public relations functions when assigned and supports department crime prevention initiatives.
- Successfully completes all training and in-service training as required or assigned.
- Performs related tasks, duties, and assignments as required.
- Supports the Chain of Command and actively works to control rumors and promote the morale and the welfare of the department.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Ability to perform essential functions and typical tasks.
- Appropriate knowledge of police methods, practices, and procedures.
- Appropriate knowledge of pertinent Federal and State laws as well as municipal ordinances and case law.
- Appropriate knowledge of the geography of the City and the location of important buildings and facilities.
- Appropriate knowledge of the rules and regulations of the Police Department.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions and to prepare clear comprehensive reports.
- Ability to deal courteously, firmly, and tactfully with the public.
- Ability to analyze situations and to adopt quick, effective, and reasonable courses of action with due regard to surrounding hazards and circumstances.
- Possession of physical agility and endurance.
- Skill in the use of firearms and the operation of a motor vehicle.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and the general public.
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school.
- Some college-level coursework beyond the high school level is preferred.
- Possession of an appropriate driver's license valid in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Must meet and maintain all Departmental and State training and education requirements for the position.
||This listing expires on: 2/10/2023