The University of Virginia Police Department is seeking diverse, professional candidates to join our team at the rank of Police Sergeant. As a police Sergeant at one of the nation's top public universities, you will be serving in a vibrant community with a variety of culture, recreation and entertainment opportunities - suitable for families and young professionals.
UPD Police Officers provide daily enforcement and security services as well as coverage for major events including national championship Division 1 athletic teams and world-renowned VIP guest visits to Grounds.
The department is comprised of 77 sworn officers, 63 non-sworn security officers and 30 civilian employees advancing our fair, impartial and community policing mission at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, VA. UPD officers serve the UVA medical center which was voted the top hospital in Virginia in 2019 and hosts the only level 1 trauma center in the region and our academic grounds. Our service area community encompasses a diverse population of nearly 60,000 students, faculty, patients and visitors on any given day.
UPD takes pride in being a leader in community-focused, contemporary law enforcement standards and practices. The department promotes professional development of our team members and encourages them to introduce creative and innovative ways to promote public safety, engage the community and be a leader on grounds. UPD is committed to public safety based on the constitutional idea of justice where every person will be treated with dignity, respect and fairness.
The Police Sergeant reports through the chain of command to a Lieutenant or Captain and supports and supervises officers who carry out the core duties of the Police Department to protect lives, health, and property, in addition to enforcing laws, responding to emergencies, controlling traffic and crowds, preventing crime, and providing other services.
||University of Virginia Police Department
||Commensurate with training and experience.
|Posting Start Date:
||Duties and Responsibilities of a Police Sergeant:
- Engage in policing through fair and impartial practices. Decisions and enforcement will not be predicated on race, gender, religion or sexual orientation.
- Provide training, supervise emergency situations, review reports and paperwork, and provide quality control activities.
- Assist officers when necessary, and provide general police services when officers are assigned to other situations or immediate action is needed.
- Assign, train, and administer coaching and discipline to direct reports.
- Ensure productive and efficient police responses to incidents.
- Maintain police officers' compliance with departmental regulations and procedures.
- Perform all duties of a Police Officer, including making arrests, testifying in court and protecting life and property.
- Applicants must have at least four years of previous work experience in Police or Military.
- All applicants must possess a Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS) Certification.
- Applicants must have a valid Virginia Driver's License with a positive point balance or the ability to get a Virginia Driver's License within the first 90 days of employment.
- The ability to maintain a calm, balanced perspective, and successfully complete duties in a stressful situation is essential, as is the ability to analyze situations and use good judgment.
- The ability to apply Virginia state law in field situations and understand and articulate the University's strategic aims and programs is required.
- Successful and demonstrated experience in responsive, approachable, and courteous engagement with the community is required.
- Strong oral and written communications, including writing accurate reports, testifying in court, and interacting with the community is essential.
- Preference will be given to applicants who possess a DCJS Instructor Certification.
To learn more about the University of Virginia Police Department and our recruiting process please visit: https://uvapolice.virginia.edu.
The University of Virginia Police Department offers a competitive pay structure based off of years of experience and qualifications.
The Selected Candidate will be required to pass a background check and drug screen prior to their first day of employment per University Policy. External candidates who are selected will be required to pass a psychological evaluation.
Please visit UVA job board https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs, and search for "Police Sergeant". Complete the online application and attached a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references.
For questions about the application process, please contact Rhiannon O'Coin, Senior Academic Recruiter, email@example.com.
COVID Vaccination Requirement and Guidelines
Please visit https://hr.virginia.edu/covid-19/covid-requirements-and-guidelines-uva-new-hires prior to applying for current information regarding vaccination requirements and guidelines for employment at UVA.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician's Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspective and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic orgin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.
||This listing expires on: 8/12/2023