Assistant Chief of Police
The City of Charlottesville (pop. 47,000), Virginia invites your interest in the position of Assistant Chief of Police.
Charlottesville Police Department
The Charlottesville Police Department is led by the Police Chief, Assistant Police Chief, 3 Captains, 8 Lieutenants. The Department is divided into three divisions: Administration, Investigations, and Field Operations.
The Charlottesville Police Department has three patrol districts with currently 110 sworn officers who patrol the entire city. The Department also has civilian staff which includes administrative assistants, records specialists, community service officers, an accreditation manager, and others. The department serves a daytime population of approximately 100,000 people: including approximately 47,000 city residents, 30,000 commuters, and 22,000 University of Virginia students. Since 2000, the Charlottesville Department has been a fully accredited agency by the Virginia Law Enforcement Professional Standards Commission.
Performs difficult advanced protective service and administrative work assisting in supervising and directing the activities of the Police Department; assisting the Police Chief; functioning as a second-in-command; does related work as required. Work is performed under the general direction of the Police Chief. Supervision is exercised over all department personnel in the absence of the Police Chief.
The preferred starting salary range is between $120,000 - $150,000 annually (the city will be receiving a 6% COLA July 1, 2023). The City also offers an excellent benefits program.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
- Plans, organizes, controls, staffs, and directs the activities and functions of the Operations or Administrative divisions of the Police Department as assigned by the Chief of Police.
- Participates in the planning, directing, and coordinating of departmental personnel and general administrative activities.
- Coordinates the activities of divisions within the department.
- Works effectively with partners/stakeholders in the community to identify and resolve public safety issues.
- Reviews/interprets/analyzes activity and incident data to develop effective deployment plans for operational personnel.
- Plans for, responds to, and directs police activity at large events and critical incidents.
- Represents the Department before community groups, citizens, government officials, and the news media.
- Drafts, composes, reviews, edits and/or revises a variety of written documents, summaries, and reports.
- Develops, reviews, and approves/recommends approval of police operating policies, procedures, and goals/objectives.
- Reviews and evaluates current programs, procedures, and activities to ensure efficient and effective use of resources and delivery of service; develops recommendations on changes in organization and programs to meet changing operational needs.
- Attends scheduled staff meetings and participates effectively in promoting overall team management.
- Assists in the preparation of the department budget, division budgets, and monitors resources and expenditures throughout the year.
- Sets priorities for divisions and establishes goals and objectives. Measures progress toward established goals.
- Conducts research and analyzes information for the preparation of detailed technical reports for the Chief of Police or others.
- Evaluates assigned personnel for efficiency and effectiveness.
- Notifies/briefs the Chief of Police regarding matters of importance and daily operational issues.
- In the absence of the Chief of Police, serves as acting chief of police.
The City of Charlottesville is partnering with the Virginia Association of Chiefs of Police to identify its next Assistant Chief of Police. If you are interested in this position, please submit a résumé and letter of interest to Dana Schrad, VACP Executive Director, at email@example.com
. Please include only your name (Last, First) in the subject line, along with the words Charlottesville Assistant Chief
when submitting these materials.
Call Dana Schrad at 804-338-9512 (Mobile).
Assistant Chief of Police
||Charlottesville Police Department
||$120,000 - $150,000 annually + Benefits
|Posting Start Date:
Education: High school diploma or GED equivalency and sixty credits from an accredited college or university required; bachelor's degree and a tier 1 (FBI National Academy, PERF Senior Management Executive Institute for Police, etc.) preferred. Virginia LEO certification or eligible for certification required.
Experience: At least one year of experience at the rank of a Police Captain or equivalent (sworn) police executive level management position required.
Skills: Comprehensive knowledge of approved principles, practices and procedures of police work; thorough knowledge of pertinent federal and state laws and municipal ordinances; ability to assign, direct, supervise and evaluate the work of subordinate officers; ability to analyze complex police problems and to adopt effective and reasonable courses of action with due regard to surrounding hazards and circumstances; ability to establish effective working relationships with other officers in the department and to deal with the public courteously but firmly and maintain satisfactory public relations; ability to prepare and present detailed reports; ability to communicate effectively orally and written. Professional in appearance.
Possession of a valid, appropriate driver's license issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia.
||This listing expires on: 6/24/2023