Police Officer (Certified)
The University of Virginia Police Department is looking for applicants who want to serve the community and help keep the University and surrounding area safe.
As a police officer at one of the nation’s top public universities, you will be serving in a vibrant community with a variety of culture, recreation and entertainment opportunities – suitable for families and young professionals.
UPD takes pride in being a leader in community-based, progressive approaches toward law enforcement. The department supports its officers and encourages them to introduce creative and innovative ways to promote public safety, engage the community and be a leader on grounds. UPD is committed to public safety based on the constitutional idea of justice where every person will be treated with dignity and fairness.
This posting is for Certified Police Officers.
The University of Virginia Police Department offers a competitive pay structure and a $7,500 bonus upon completion of Field Training and an additional $7,500 after one year of employment.
Police Officer (Certified)
||University of Virginia Police Department
||Competitive + $15K Bonus
|Posting Start Date:
||Responsibilities of University Police Officers:
- Engage in policing through fair and impartial practices. Decisions and enforcement will not be predicated on race, gender, religion or sexual orientation.
- Maintain order by patrolling a designated area of the university and enforcing federal and state laws, local ordinances and University regulations and policy.
- Respond to criminal complaints and non-enforcement requests from the University community.
- Generate reports, arrest or administratively handle incidents.
- Patrol a designated area of the university community to conduct security inspections, assist community members and to prevent crimes.
- Identify, investigate, and report hazards that might endanger public safety and/or University facilities or equipment.
- Conduct traffic control functions by controlling vehicle and pedestrian traffic at events or incidents as needed.
- Act as a campus security authority as defined by the federal Jeanne Clery Disclosure Act.
- Act as a responsible employee under Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, which includes timely reporting of incidents of sexual harassment/misconduct to the University of Virginia Title IX coordinator
To learn more about the University of Virginia Police Department and our recruiting process please visit: https://uvapolice.virginia.edu/
- Must possess an active Virginia Law Enforcement Officer DCJS certification.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must have skill to handle firearms and operate a motor vehicle safely.
- A valid Virginia driver’s license with a positive points balance is required, if applicants are from out of state the ability to get a Virginia license by the start date of the position is required.
- Applicants must demonstrate responsive, approachable, and courteous engagement with the community. The ability to maintain a calm, balanced perspective, and successfully complete duties in a stressful situation is essential, as is the ability to analyze situations and use good judgment. Strong oral and written communications, including writing accurate reports, testifying in court, and interacting with a diverse community is required.
The Selected Candidate will be required to pass a background check and drug screen prior to their first day of employment per University Policy.
Please visit UVA job board https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs, search for "R0038522" complete the application and see below for documents to attach.
Complete and application and attach:
***Please note that you MUST upload ALL requested documents into the CV/Resume box. Applications that do not contain all of the required documents will not receive full consideration.***
- Cover Letter
- Contact information for 3 references
For questions about the application process please contact Rhiannon O'Coin, Senior Academic Recruiter, firstname.lastname@example.org
Selected applicants will be required to complete a background check and drug screen prior to their first day of employment. Selected candidates will be asked to complete a psychological evaluation at time of offer.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.
||This listing expires on: 12/7/2023