Chief of Police
The Town of Pulaski is accepting applications for the position of Chief of Police
. The candidate for this exempt, full-time position should be a community-oriented, qualified individual with excellent communication, organizational and managerial skills. The Chief of Police reports to the Town Manager and should have the ability to work with minimal direction, be detail-oriented, work well with the public, and have thorough knowledge of law enforcement. Residency in the Town of Pulaski is a requirement for this position.
- Plans, directs, and exercises general supervision over department personnel as well as operational and administrative functions including supervision of Command Staff personnel.
- Sets the example for the agency.
- Prepares initial agency budget and actively controls the expenditure of all department funds throughout the year.
- Develops and updates all General Orders, rules, regulations, procedures, and handles serious disciplinary issues and oversees management of minor infractions.
- Has comprehensive knowledge of Criminal laws, Administrative Code, court decisions, and ensures compliance.
- Serves on community boards, agencies, committees, meets with community groups and individual members of the public, relating to promoting crime prevention and improving law enforcement.
- Makes all personnel assignments within the Department.
- Reviews activities and reports of officers.
- Directs the investigation of major criminal offenses.
- Cooperates with state and federal officers in the apprehension of wanted persons.
- Prepares and reviews operational and administrative reports.
- Operates issued firearms under conditions of stress and at levels of proficiency and certification as prescribed by the Department of Criminal Justice Services.
- Interacts with other Department Heads and the Town Manager to enhance communication among team members and further the success of the Department.
Chief of Police
||Town of Pulaski
||$82,871 - $135,864
|Posting Start Date:
||Requirements and qualifications:
The salary range for this position is $82,871 - $135,864. The Town of Pulaski participates in the Virginia Retirement System and provides an excellent benefits package. Please apply by sending your resume, cover letter, salary requirements and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in law enforcement, public administration or a related area preferred
- Graduation from the FBI National Academy or from a nationally recognized police executive training program preferred.
- Extensive training in leadership, budgeting, planning, or related field and extensive experience in police work, including progressive and demonstrated ability and a career path through the ranks of responsibility of a police department, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Department of Criminal Justice Service certification as a VA Law Enforcement Officer.
- Valid driver's license in the Commonwealth of Virginia, possess and maintain a driving record acceptable to Town of Pulaski Police Department.
- Must be able to render credible testimony in a court of law.
- Must be a non-smoker
- Comprehensive knowledge of laws, rules and court decisions relating to the administration of criminal justice and law enforcement;
- Comprehensive knowledge of scientific methods of crime detection, criminal identification and radio communications;
- Comprehensive knowledge of controlling laws and ordinances;
- Demonstrated ability to lead and direct the activities of police personnel;
- Ability to maintain cooperative working relationships with Town officials and the general public;
- Ability to evaluate the effectiveness of the department and to institute improvements;
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; resourcefulness and sound judgment in emergencies; demonstrated integrity.
- Must have acceptable observation and retention capabilities.
- Ability to meet the physical standards for this position.
||This listing expires on: 9/29/2023