Certified Police Officer I/II
Apply online at https://jobs.jamescitycountyva.gov (create profile, then apply for position)
About James City County
James City County is located near historic Williamsburg, VA and is part of the historic triangle of Jamestown, Williamsburg, and Yorktown, which are well-known significant historical sites in the history of our nation. The County serves a population of more than 73,000 people and has a total area of 180 square miles. Our residents enjoy an excellent location to live and prosper. Our County Government is dedicated to the role of ensuring delivery of needed, quality services in an efficient, informed, intelligent, cost-effective manner, in keeping with the hopes and expectations of our citizens. We strive to fulfill our mission to work in partnership with all citizens to achieve a quality community. More information may be found at www.jamescitycountyva.gov
About James City County Police Department
(JCCPD) has more than 100 sworn law enforcement officers and responds to more than 22,000 calls for service each year. JCCPD provides comprehensive law enforcement services to the citizens of James City County through its three divisions: Operations, Support Services, and Administrative Services. Every patrol officer is assigned a vehicle and is outfitted with uniforms and equipment, to include: RADAR, Alco-sensor FST, flashlight, TASER, Glock 9mm handgun and state-of-the-art equipment including a body-worn camera, in-car camera, mobile computer, electronic summonses including in-car printer and bar code scanner, Automatic Vehicle Locator for closest-unit dispatching and directions, etc. JCCPD offers a number of opportunities for career development, specialized assignments and training including: investigations, narcotics investigations, community services (crime prevention), school resource officers (5), and uniform patrol. JCCPD also has a number of specialized teams, to include: Honor Guard, SWAT, Bike Patrol, Marine Patrol, Underwater Search & Recovery, Crisis Negotiations, Motors, and Tactical Field Force.
Job Description / Responsibilities
James City County Police Department is accepting applications for the position of Police Officer I or II. Applicants must already have a current Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services Basic Law Enforcement (BLE) certification, to include successful completion of field training.
Essential Job Functions:
- Maintains public peace, protects life and property, enforces law, and conducts investigations according to departmental policies and with minimal supervision; performs specialized and involved tasks, and administrative duties, including investigation of complex incidents or criminal acts.
- Operates police vehicle to observe for violations of traffic laws, suspicious activities or persons, and disturbances of law and order; responds to radio dispatches; answers calls and complaints; responds to major crime calls (robbery, rape, murder, maiming, burglary, etc.); performs foot patrols to serve as a deterrent to criminal activity and to enhance the department’s Community Policing philosophy; investigates complaints and issues summonses or makes arrests; prepares detailed reports and maintains records.
- Detects and investigates crimes: conducts surveillance of individuals, vehicles, and locations; interviews victims, suspects, and witnesses; collects and identifies evidence and property; seizes contraband and/or evidence; protects crime scenes; investigates traffic crashes.
- Apprehends and arrests suspects, using weapons when necessary; obtains, verifies, and executes arrest warrants; conducts high-risk felony vehicle stops; detains, searches, arrests and handcuffs persons, as required; subdues and disarms resisting or attacking persons; transports and handles prisoners.
- Prepares for and gives legal testimony; appears in court as a designated investigating officer.
- Police Officer III and IV (requires career ladder advancement): assists and advises Police Officers with more difficult or hazardous situations as instructed; assumes command of the shift/unit in the absence of or at the direction of the Lieutenant / Sergeant; ensures that all calls for service are answered and dealt with in a timely manner; serves as needed in a specialty area such as Field Training Officer, Instructor, SWAT, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Full Job Description: http://www.jamescitycountyva.gov/DocumentCenter/View/1797
$43,069 – Police Officer I (DCJS BLE Certified), see job description for necessary qualifications
$45,222 - Police Officer II (DCJS BLE Certified), see job description for necessary qualifications
Career ladder advancements to Police Officer III and IV involve 5% increases in salary. Annual performance increases may also be available.
- Take-home car (if residing within 15 driving miles of County line)
- Employer-assisted homeownership program (up to $3,000 match on closing costs)
- Participation in the Virginia Retirement System (25 years service at age 50; 1.85% multiplier) with Hazardous Duty Supplement
- Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) On-the-Job Training Benefits
- Excellent health and dental insurance options
- Tuition assistance ($5,250/year max), training, and educational opportunities
- Career advancement opportunities through Career Ladder Advancement Program
- Health Savings (HSA) and Flexible Spending Account (medical and child care)
- 457 and 401(a) Deferred Compensation Plans
- Accrued Vacation and Sick Leave
- Employer-paid Group Life Insurance and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Free membership to JCC Recreation Center (cardio, weights, indoor track, pool, etc.)
- Current shifts are a permanent, non-rotating work schedule
- Uniforms and equipment provided
- These and many other benefits may be found here
Certified Police Officer I/II
||James City County Police Department
||Starting at $43,069 (PO1) or $45,222 (PO2)
|Posting Start Date:
How to Apply
- For the current hiring process, applicants must already have a current Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services Basic Law Enforcement (BLE) certification, to include successful completion of field training.
- Must meet all meet all qualifications listed in Code of Virginia 15.2-1705,
- Must be a U.S. citizen at least 21 years of age,
- Must be a high school graduate or equivalent; some college preferred,
- Must possess a valid Virginia Driver's License at time of employment and thereafter,
- Must undergo a thorough background investigation including fingerprint-based criminal history records inquiries through CCRE and FBI,
- Must undergo an polygraph examination and psychological assessment,
- Must undergo a fitness assessment based on general aptitudes and physical abilities listed in job description,
- Must undergo a physical examination, subsequent to a conditional offer of employment, conducted under the supervision of a licensed physician,
- Must not have been convicted of or pled guilty or no contest to:
- a felony or any offense that would be a felony if committed in Virginia
- any offense involving moral turpitude, such as larceny, concealment, bad checks, embezzlement, perjury, etc.
- any misdemeanor sex offense, including but not limited to sexual battery or consensual sexual intercourse with a minor 15 or older
- domestic assault, and
- Must not have produced a positive result on a pre-employment drug screening that cannot be explained to the Police Chief’s satisfaction.
- A general list of other disqualifiers may be found on page 3 of this document
- Online application through https://jobs.jamescitycountyva.gov (create profile, then apply for position)
- Application screening
- VCIN/NCIC criminal history and DMV driving record checks
- Panel interview
- Background investigation, to include: personal history questionnaire, polygraph examination, local and national criminal history checks, and checks on credit history, neighborhood, character references, and employment
- Post-offer checks, to include: fitness assessment, personality profile assessment, physical/medical examination with drug test
- Candidates must agree not to use tobacco in any form both on and off the job
For further information, please see General Information brochure and the department’s webpage. You may also contact Lt. Jeff Hicklin at (757) 259-5169 or by email at email@example.com.
James City County is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)
||This listing expires on: 12/12/2018