The VACP, formed in 1926, is an unincorporated 501(c)(6) non-profit trade association. Its more than 500 members are made up of active and retired federal, state, local and private law enforcement and criminal justice agency executives, administrators and managers. Members also include persons in law enforcement related businesses, support industries or government agencies. A ten-member Executive Board elected by the active members governs the affairs of the VACP.
Each application for membership shall be made in writing on an application form provided by the Association, and shall contain such information as prescribed by the Executive Board. The application shall be presented by the Executive Director to the Executive Board, which shall approve or reject the application. The dues of the Association shall be determined by the Executive Board and shall be paid annually.
VACP & VACLEA Membership Categories
Membership in the Virginia Association of Chiefs of Police (VACP) consists of three classes: Active, Associate and Senior.
- VACP Active memberships consist only of those persons who are actively engaged as appointive heads of certified law enforcement agencies which operate in the Commonwealth of Virginia, as well as executive and/or administrative officers with responsibility of at least bureau or division commanders or similar status as designated by the heads of such agencies.
- VACP Associate memberships include those persons involved in law enforcement or law enforcement related occupations, or individuals sincerely interested in the advancement of the law enforcement profession, but who are not eligible for Active membership. Associate members, who are employed through a law enforcement agency, are permitted to attend the Midyear and Annual Meetings as Delegates and participate in discussions, but shall have no vote, shall not be eligible to hold office in the association, and shall not be counted at any time in determining a quorum or majority for any purpose.
- VACP Senior memberships consist of those persons who, upon retirement from the law enforcement profession, wish to remain active in the Association. Upon regular payments of dues of an amount to be determined by the Executive Board, such members shall be entitled to all privileges and benefits of the Association including retention on the Association mailing list. They shall not be entitled to vote, nor hold any active office and shall not be counted at any time in determining a quorum or majority for any purpose. (To convert your active or associate membership to a Senior membership upon retirement, contact Audrey Altovilla at firstname.lastname@example.org.)
Membership in the Virginia Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators (VACLEA) consists of two classes: Professional (Active) and Associate.
- VACLEA Professional (Active) memberships are for Command Law Enforcement or Security Officers of any institution of higher education in the Commonwealth of Virginia may be eligible for Professional Membership upon application to the Association. (More details)
- VACLEA Associate memberships are for all Law Enforcement or Security personnel employed by an institution of higher education within the Commonwealth of Virginia, and who are not eligible for Professional Membership, may be considered for Associate Membership upon application to the Association. (More details)
Also eligible for associate membership are individuals and organizations, including institutions of higher education, who demonstrate interest in furthering and supporting the objectives of the Association.
NOTICE: The VACP Executive Board recently met to discuss current VACP business and budget items. During this meeting, it was determined that a $25.00 increase for yearly dues is necessary due to the increasing cost of business expenses. Please be aware, this is the first increase in over ten years. The new amount for Active members will be $200 annually and, for Associate members, $150 annually. This change will go into effect during our next fiscal year, which is July 1, 2023 - June 30, 2024. Dues notices emailed to each member will reflect these changes.
Should you have any questions or concerns, do not hesitate to contact us.
The dues of the Association are determined by the Executive Board and are paid annually. Current dues amounts for the July 1, 2023 – June 30, 2024 fiscal year are as follows:
- VACP Active: $200
- VACP Associate: $150
- VACP Senior: $20
- VACLEA Professional (Active): $75
- VACLEA Associate: $50
- VACP Active + VACLEA Professional (Active): $275
- VACP Active + VACLEA Associate: $250
- VACP Associate + VACLEA Professional (Active): $225
- VACP Associate + VACLEA Associate: $200
A member of the Association shall be considered suspended from membership for failure to pay annual dues in a timely manner. Upon the elimination of the cause of suspension, the suspended member may be reinstated by the Executive Board.
Dues-paying members receive the following benefits from the VACP and/or VACLEA:
- Membership pin
- Discounted registration fees for VACP / VACLEA conferences and trainings
- FULL Access to online Member Community
- Eligibility for VACP Law Enforcement Executive Certification Program
- Volunteer leadership opportunities on committees and boards
- Services of paid association staff
- Discounted/free job listings on the VACP website
- Discounted products from Lexipol
For more information or assistance with submitting a membership application, contact Audrey Altovilla, VACP & VACLEA Membership Manager, at email@example.com.