First Responder Naloxone Program
The Virginia Association of Chiefs of Police (VACP) is managing a First Responder Naloxone grant for the Virginia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services (DBHDS). The project goals are to:
Increase access and distribution of naloxone to Virginia law enforcement and first responders (utilizing the existing infrastructure provided by VDH Central Pharmacy).
Increase participation in the VADBHDS REVIVE! Training for Virginia first responders.
- Increase REVIVE! training capacity in the Commonwealth through expansion of Master Trainers and Trainers available to serve law enforcement and first responder agencies.
For more information about the VACP's program, contact Erima Fobbs at firstname.lastname@example.org.
VIRGINIA NALOXONE SUPPLIES FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT AND FIRST RESPONDERS
Free Supplies of Naloxone – Law enforcement/first responder agencies should complete a VDH Narcan Application (see icons at the bottom of the page) and you will be able to place orders to receive free Narcan
Temperature Controlled Naloxone Carrying Cases enable law enforcement/first responders to “wear” Naloxone so it will be ready for use in emergencies.
VIRGINIA TRAINING RESOURCES
LINK: DBHDS REVIVE Training Program
REVIVE Training to Reverse Opioid Overdose - Law enforcement is required to go through a separate Law Enforcement Officer training offered directly through DBHDS. To request the Law Enforcement-specific REVIVE! training for your agency, please contact email@example.com
Virginia Law Enforcement/First Responder Master Trainers List
Master Trainers are qualified to conduct the Naloxone training of trainers.
Virginia Law Enforcement REVIVE Trainers (Excel spreadsheet)
Trainers are qualified to train individuals to administer Naloxone and use a Law Enforcement-specific curriculum.
Virginia Laws Protect Overdose Reporting and Emergency Assistance
Opioid Overdose Resuscitation
- SAMHSA Overdose Prevention Toolkit - Five Essential Steps for First Responders
- Opioid Overdose Resuscitation
- NIH - Opioid Overdose Reversal with Naloxone
- NIH - How Naloxone Saves Lives
Naloxone Videos (while not Virginia-specific, with useful information)
- VDH - Recognizing and Responding to an Opioid Overdose
- AMA How to Use Naloxone
- Training on Using 4 Types of Naloxone
- NASN Narcan Training
- Naloxone Project Dawn Training Video
- NY Naloxone Update for Law Enforcement
- Official Narcan Video – How to Use Narcan Nasal Spray
- Key Steps to Administering Narcan Nasal Spray
- Law Enforcement Naloxone Toolkit
- Law Enforcement Efforts to Fight the Opioid Crisis
- Fentanyl Safety Recommendations for Law Enforcement
- Policing and the Opioid Crisis – Standards of Care
- A Roadmap for Reducing Stigma on Opioid Addiction