There are a number of ways you can support the VACP and its activities:
You can help support the VACP simply by becoming a member! Our membership is not just limited to police chiefs — it includes a variety of active and retired local, state, federal, and private law enforcement and criminal justice agency executives, administrators, and managers from across the state, from agencies large and small. Members also include persons in law enforcement-related businesses, support industries, or government agencies.
Each person that joins the VACP supports it not only financially through annual dues, but also by contributing their unique perspective to our statewide network of law enforcement professionals. (And of course, you benefit by joining, too!)
Click here for additional information on becoming a member and the benefits of membership.
Okay, so you've become a member... the next step is to participate. There are several ways to do this:
- Attend the Annual and/or Mid-Year Conferences. First of all, your attendance at these events also supports us financially, which allows us to continue to provide you with an array of benefits and services. Aside from that, they are an opportunity for you to
- Get DCJS-approved training on topics of importance to law enforcement executives;
- Network with your peers; and,
- Be involved in determining the focus and direction of the Association. We need your input on things such as what positions to take on legislation, what problems your agency and the law enforcement community as a whole are facing, what needs you have, etc. Basically we need your attendance at these meetings to help us know how we can help you!
- Volunteer Your Time and Expertise. The VACP has a number of volunteer Member Opportunities open to all classes of membership. From committees to outside appointments to the VACP Executive Board, the VACP needs plenty of interested volunteers to help serve and lead the association. If you are interested, click here to read more about these opportunities, and be sure to fill out the VACP Participation Survey to let us know about your interest!
- Encourage Others to Join/Support the VACP. You are the VACP's best connection to the fellow chiefs and other law enforcement executives in your area that are not yet members — let them know about what services the Association can offer them as members and encourage them to join. If they also happen to be new to their position or even just new to Virginia, let them know about our New Chiefs & Deputy Chiefs School — it's a great crash course on running a successful law enforcement agency!
Additionally, if your budget allows, sponsor the membership of other management personnel in your own agency. As it is the purpose of the VACP to promote the professional development of all executive and management personnel in law enforcement agencies in Virginia, it is important that we have not just chiefs in our membership, but also deputy chiefs, captains, and others that might one day become chiefs, sheriffs, SACs, etc.
And finally, encourage corporate members to consider joining as Associate members of the VACP. Networking with those in industries that support the law enforcement profession benefits both them and you. By letting these partners know what your needs and challenges are, they can better provide you with the tools you need to do your job — it's a win-win!
3) Become a Sponsor!
If you or your company is interested in supporting the work of the VACP, we have a number of Sponsorship Opportunities in conjunction with our two Conferences each year. Our sponsors are very important to the success of these events and their donations help to reduce the costs of attendance for our members so that as many as possible can attend. We accept both monetary support and donations of goods, such as name badges, conference bags and other trinkets, food items for the hospitality room, door prizes, and more!