Community Heroes Grant for HomeownershipVirginia Housing Development Authority (VHDA) has partnered with the Federal Home Loan Bank of Atlanta to create the Community Heroes grant program. This program will provide an $8,000 grant for down payment and closing cost assistance to help public school educators and first responders, such as law enforcement officers and firefighters, to purchase their first homes.
What makes this different from other similar grants on the market?
- It never has to be repaid.
- The income limits are substantially higher than most other grants.
Who is eligible for this program?
- Educators: An employee of an accredited or state-recognized public school; a certified teacher or administrator in a public school or education agency; an employee of a post-secondary level public educational institution; or a person who has retired as one of the above as may be determined by VHDA at their sole discretion.
- Law Enforcement Officers, Firefighters, and First Responders: An employee of a law enforcement agency or fire department administered by a federal, state or local government, or a sworn law enforcement officer responsible for crime prevention and detection or criminal incarceration; a sworn member of a fire department involved in fire suppression or prevention, emergency medical response, hazardous materials incident response, or management/response to terrorism; any other first responder, such as an emergency medical technician or National Guard or Reservist; or a person who has retired as one of the above as may be determined by VHDA at their sole discretion.
Community Heroes Grant Program Highlights:
- For first-time purchase transactions only (no refinances).
- Eligible borrower(s) must have household income that falls within the ranges listed on the following page.
- Must be used with a VHDA first mortgage product.
- Must work with a VHDA lender that is approved to offer this limited-time product.
For full program details, DOWNLOAD THE BROCHURE (PDF).